House Fire on Saddle Peak Sparks Concern

By Annemarie Donkin
Annemarie DonkinBy Annemarie Donkin      December 24, 2020

Share Story on:

House Fire on Saddle Peak Sparks Concern
PPhotos courtesy of Melannie Guyton The only thing that really survived the inferno, a wooden Aloha sign, the renter of the house, Mellanie Guyton wrote, “reminds me that the aloha spirit is alive.”
The explosion of a large appliance in the laundry room is the suspected cause of a destructive house fire at the top of Saddle Peak Road on Tuesday, Nov. 24. Melannie Guyton had just rented the house one month earlier and now it is uninhabitable.
Housemates Melannie Guyton, Jordan Grossman and his six-year-old daughter, Logan.
A fire that engulfed a two-story house in the 23000 block of Saddle Peak Road in Topanga on Tuesday, Nov. 24, was reported to the Los Angeles County Fire Dept. at about 9:37 a.m. The structure and about 1/8 acre of surrounding brush was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived on the scene around 9:55 a.m., according to the TCEP Emergency Status Alerts.

Known as the “Peak Fire,” it was quickly doused by helicopters filling at nearby 69 Bravo and knocked down by ground crews from Engines 67, 69 and 70.

“There was heavy fire damage to the second floor,” said Los Angeles County Fire Captain Fowler of Station 69. “Likely that it was a gas appliance that initialized that.”

“There was heavy fire damage to the second floor,” said Los Angeles County Fire Captain Fowler of Station 69. “Likely that it was a gas appliance that initialized that.”

he house was rented by Melannie Guyton. Her housemate, Jordan Grossman and his six-year-old daughter, Logan, were home at the time. There were no reported injuries.

Guyton said they had only lived in the house for a month. Her two dogs, Maka (meaning the favored one) and her puppy, Akemi (which means light and joy) were also safe from the fire.

A native of Hawai’i, Guyton was at work in Redondo Beach when she received a phone call that the house was on fire and returned home only to discover that most of the wooden structure was unsalvageable.

My housemate and I lost material possessions, but we are so grateful to be safe and healthy,” she wrote in an email. “Much thanks to the firefighters, The American Red Cross, neighbors, the Malibu and Topanga communities, my church family, and ohana for all the love and support.”

Currently, the landlord’s insurance is paying for Guyton, Grossman and his daughter to live in an Airbnb in El Segundo.

“The only thing that really survived, amazingly, through the inferno was a wooden sign, “Aloha,” Guyton wrote. “Reminds me that the aloha spirit is alive and well in Malibu, the Topanga community, and the supporting churches at large.”

Guyton said they are determined to move forward, wherever they may end up. “The American Red Cross came hours after the blaze,” she said. “The fire department had a fund for me and my household, some financial relief, and it happened that night.”

Guyton said the fire was covered in the local news media and on FOX 11.
“I am not worried as I have my health, family, neighbors. and immediate ohana to see us through,” she wrote. “We trust in God to sustain us, much aloha.”

If you want to help, please give through PayPal at Mguyton17@gmail.com or GoFundMe at the Melannie Guyton Fire Relief Fund.
Annemarie Donkin
      December 24, 2020

Share Story on:

Fires

spacer

ENVIRONMENT

Fires
Featured
Thanks Giving
Covid diary
GOVERNMENT AT WORK